The Lower School curriculum is based on five educational principles:
- A foundational curriculum centered on literacy and numeracy.
- A teacher-driven curriculum where teachers take responsibilities for outcomes.
- An accountable curriculum measured by objective standards.
- A distinctive curriculum seeking excellence beyond the status quo.
- A traditional curriculum based on the tried and true.
This curriculum focuses on reading, mathematics, Bible, and Latin, and is supplemented with history, literature, science, computer, art and music.
Academic Associates Reading Program
Most Lower School teachers (K-5) are certified reading instruction specialists. The school uses one of the most successful reading instruction programs for students across the entire Lower School. The program combines the best of phonics-based reading methods, current research on how the brain learns, and a step-by-step instructional approach.
SSCA teaches ecclesiastical Latin to students in K-5 using Memoria Press' Classical Trivium Core Series: Prima Latina and Latina Christina. Students learn Latin vocabulary, grammar, songs, and prayers.
South Shore Christian Academy teachers utilize methods from the awarding winning, best selling book 1-2-3 Magic by Dr. Thomas Phelan to manage student classroom behavior in the Lower School. Parenting workshops are offered each year to Lower School parents to help bridge and strengthen the home and school connection, providing consistency in behavior management.
"1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents is a wonderful, effective tool for parents who want to set firm, loving boundries for their kids. The method is simple and easy to remember, a feature that comes in handy when children launch a surprise temper tantrum. I love how this plan is based on biblical principles - and best of all, it works!"
- Dr. Gary Smalley, Author of I Promise: How 5 Commitments Determine the Destiny of Your Marriage